"The old Land Office is a common reminder of all the grandfathers and great grandfathers of Western New York. Their frequent pilgrimages to the Land office was a feature of their lives, They viewed again and again it's sturdy walls; they stepped in and out again overs it's threshold that they found in the center of all of their interests, the topic of much of their discourse. It was to them a social, religious and political headquarters, while they felled the trees and let the sunlight down through the woods to invite production in the fertile soil." --John Kennedy, 19th century scholar
|Welcome to the
Western New York!
|Holland Land Office Museum, Circa 2001
We welcome you to explore the new web-site for the Holland Land Office Museum. Our site will be a continuing work in progress as we add more historical content, articles & photos for your enjoyment. Your input is greatly appreciated. Feel free to call (585) 343-4727 during museum hours.
2015 History Heroes Summer Program
at the Holland Land Office Museum
July 28th - 31st and August 4th - 7th
Tuesday thru Friday, 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
$25.00 daily tuition per child
$20.00 for Holland Purchase Historical Society Members
Our theme this year is the celebrating the Bicentennial of the Holland Land Office building. Highlights this year include:
- "Amazing Race" Scavenger Hunt through the
Holland Land Office Museum and Batavia Peace Garden
- History of Firefighting and Fire Safety with real Firefighters
- Aviation Day: Learn about the history of flight, Glenn Curtiss, Amelia
Earhart, the Wright Brothers, and Col. Edward York; paper airplane contests
- Walking tour of historic landmarks and buildings in Batavia
followed by a movie at the Showtime Theater
- Field Trip to the Cobblestone Museum in Albion, NY
- An outdoor carnival featuring fun games, and highlighting
the history of county fairs and the importance of agriculture.
- A musical celebration and picnic for the entire family!